Apologies to those who came to our site the past few weeks and it did not work. We were experiencing network problems with our local hosting company. It was a very unfortunate incident and after a lot of frustration working with our hosting company, we have decided to move our business over to SquareSpace. Now, not only do we have a reliable host, but we also have exceptional customer service and technical support.
We first heard about SquareSpace from the guys at Back to Work. If you ever heard any of their podcasts, you would know how much they love SquareSpace. So far, we are loving it too :) For those interested in SquareSpace, the following are the pros and cons we looked at before joining SquareSpace.
• No need for manual updates. When there is an update, SquareSpace will take care of it. This is especially so if you are running Drupal on your site. Drupal is updated often and so are its modules. You need to constantly update your site and sometimes updates would break the site. We did not spend a lot of time maintaining the site. The content was mostly static and Drupal may have been overkill for our purposes anyway.
• HTML5. The site will work on any device.
• Site up and running in very little time. Without looking at any documentation, Susan was able to copy over all the content and setup the site in a couple of days just by playing around with the UI. Sure there could be improvements here and there but she was still impressed.
• Customer service rocks! We love the online chat on their site and emails are returned within a few hours, at most. This is a big change for us since our previous hosting company had horrific customer service.
• Modern themes to choose from and can be easily customized.
• You cannot backup your site. Everything is in the cloud and auto-save kicks in almost immediately so you need to manually undo changes. You cannot save revisions although they are working on this for a future feature.
• Annual billing comes with a free custom domain registration but only new domains can qualify. We had to go with a third-party for our domain name transfer since SquareSpace doesn’t support transfers yet.
• No custom email addresses. You need to purchase email service from a third-party.